Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Christmas Party


I was able to share the gospel with about 10 unsaved friends and family yesterday afternoon.


I had a committment at church and time was running out for me to say anything. I really wanted to address everyone at once and I did not see how that was going to happen.

Everyone was having their own conversation and it was loud. It was about 2:30 pm and I had to leave at 3:30. The conversation came up about church from the couple I wanted to speak with the most. I met this couple several years ago when our daughters went to school together. We became friends because we liked to drink together. They were sharing their past experiences from church with me, when my wife announced it was time for us to gather in the living room for our kids to open a couple of gifts. We all wound up in the living room with everyone sitting down except my friend, his wife and I. About the time the gift opening was completed, my friend resumed the conversation about church with me by saying that he had been invited to attend a church nearby. That was when he was in the hospital last year for heart bypass surgery- he shared a room with a Pastor. I said it sounded like God was trying to get his attention. At this point everyone was listening to me.

He replied with no prompting from me, that he believed that as long as someone lives a good life and doesn't go around killing people they go to heaven. I asked if he ever was angry enough with someone to hate them. He said, "Yes." I told him that Jesus says that He sees and will judge our hearts, our thoughts, and that He says "You have heard it said you shall not commit murder. Whoever commits murder will be subject to Judgment but I tell you that whoever even hates someone else will be subject to Judgment." I told him that Jesus says, "Anyone who hates his brother is a murderer” and you know that no murderer has eternal life in Him. I then went on to ask if he had ever told a lie. I was able by the grace of God and power of the Holy Spirit to point out to everyone in my house that we were all sinners and why the only way to eternity in Heaven and not eternity in Hell was through Jesus Christ. As I was speaking, one by one each person got up and walked into the kitchen and I was there alone with my friend with his mouth open.

I thanked him for listening to me. I told him I was late for serving at church. We wished each other a Merry Christmas, shook hands and then I hugged and said goodbye to everyone who was hiding in the kitchen. They had heard every word that I had just spoken.

I asked my wife about it when I got home from church and she said no one made mention about what I said and no one was offended. The party went on as if nothing was said.

I know it will not be for nothing. It is up to us to speak the Truth- to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ. God is the only one to bring a person to God Himself.

No comments: