Monday, June 11, 2012

Distractions


Walking in the park I crossed paths with a man on his way to nowhere. The whites of his eyes were long ago turned yellow by alcohol and drugs.

"Hello Sir." I said, catching him off guard. I wondered who the last person was who addressed him with respect.

He stood a little taller as he answered me. "Hello."

As I looked at him, I thought of the absolute love that Jesus had for him. What a picture this man was of us all. While we look like this, Jesus died to redeem us!

"My name is Jennifer, may I know your first name?"

"I'm Danny." He said without teeth.

"Hi Danny." With a smile I handed him a gospel tract. I could not help but think of the physical toll sin had taken on him. I prayed that God would grab his heart. "Are you a good man, Danny?"

"Yes, I am."

"Good enough for Heaven?"

"I hope so!" he said.

"Have you lied?"

"Yes, I have." he said quietly.

"Stolen anything?"

"Yes."

"Used God's name as a cuss word...ever?" I asked.

Danny looked embarrassed but admitted he had. When we talked about God's judgment, Danny realized he was not going to be in Heaven. He looked scared.

"I'm trying to get myself together." he said pointedly.

"Danny, if you are sitting on the train tracks, a train is coming and I'm yelling at you to get off the tracks, would you tell me you are trying? Or would you get off the tracks? Danny you should not let anything stop you at all from getting right with God. Do you get that?"

"Yes ma'am."

Danny had told me that he was homeless until his girlfriend's aunt had taken them in.  I explained repentance to Danny. I also explained that Jesus was the only way to Heaven. He replied with an 'amen'.

"Danny you should get on your knees right here in this park and beg God's forgiveness!"

"You are right I should do that...but I've got some thinking to do."

"Yes, you do but don't wait too long, Danny."

"I'm going to pick up some clothes, but I'm coming back this way. Maybe you'll still be here."

In ever saw Danny again. It's amazing to me what little things we allow to keep us from God.

Proverbs 1:24-33 includes these words..."For the turning away of the simple will slay them, and the complacency of fools will destroy them; But whoever listens to Me will dwell safely, and will be secure, without fear of evil."


No comments: