Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Demoniac of Steak 'n Shake

Still joyously passing out tracts in the aftermath of Cedric's salvation I heard Amy call my name. Looking to my right I saw her near a man at the back wall. She walked toward me and told me that this man asked her for a Bible. I asked if she had one and she said she did in her van. She went out to get it and I walked over to the man she was talking about. As I approached I saw him staring at me with a strangely familiar, very intense gaze. Any of you who have seen this look know exactly what I am refering to. I asked his name and he told me Alberto. He began to tell me that he heard voices and that he had a "guardian angel"-then he said, .."everyone does". Amy had come back in at some point and was standing next to me. I wanted to keep Alberto on task so I asked him to focus for a moment while I asked him some questions. I told him that I wanted him to tell me the truth-no lies. I began to take him through the 10 Commandments to see if he would answer me and he answered accordingly. After each question he would say, "Hey. I wnt to ask you one thing..." and then he would ask something like, "Why didn't God tell those people they were going to die on September 11th?" I asked him to focus and asked him another one. He answeed and then said, "God has no right to judge!" I told him that God was The Righteous Judge and it was He who alone had the right to Judge us all. When given an answer he would stop and then try to re-direct the conversation down another rabbit trail. At one point he made the sign of a gun and said something about someone we should be afraid of. I told him that we would fear no one save God-He woulld decide what happened to us. (Amy was probably thinking 'how did I get into this?' by now.)

Alberto kept staring at me and after a couple of minutes I gave him a courtroom scenario with Jesus as the one who steps in to pay the penalty. He quickly said, "OK I accept Jesus."

"It takes more than that Alberto. I am going to leave you with something to read if you will promise me that you will take time to read it."

"I will read it."

I asked if we could pray for him before we left. We prayed for him and he continued to stare at us intently. As soon as we were finished he said, "Are you going to give me the Bible now?" Amy handed him the Bible because we promised we would.

I have met so many like this young man. Those whose minds have been taken captive by Satan. Jesus came to set the captives free

Isa 61:1 The Spirit of the Lord Jehovah is on Me; because Jehovah has anointed Me to preach the Gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound...

Please pray for him and the many, many like him. The key is on the inside of the cell, Alberto.

No comments: