Monday, February 1, 2010

Clean v. Unclean

Today I was witnessing in my usual spot in Indialantic, FL on the small boardwalk there. The most interesting conversation was with 2 young Muslim men. After handing a million dollar bill, I asked if they believed in Heaven and Hell and I received a non-answer. I asked if they were Muslim and of course they said yes.
Without going through too long of a narrative here I think I‘ll look at the most interesting parts of the conversation as this lasted about 25 minutes.


I asked about Mohamed and if he was a good prophet and they said yes. When asked if he could lie they said no, and they went on to say the same about Jesus. I then reiterated the point about Jesus not lying which they confirmed. I pulled out a small Gospel of John and before I could say anything, the first fellow asked if that was a Bible, which I told him it was one book of the Bible from the Injil or Gospels. Typically I do that to be able to ask the Muslim to read John 14:6. I was asked “ How could you touch the Holy Word of God without cleansing myself”
This opened a great conversation where I explained that done of us could ever be clean enough for God and that Jesus said:
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean. (Mat 23:25-26)

So no matter how much they washed they were never clean enough on the inside for God. They explained the concept of washing prior to praying and how they must pray inside the mosque.

(I researched a little bit and did not see the ‘rule’ of washing before handling the Qur’an or entering a Mosque except in very special circumstances, which I will not detail here – I think these two, were misinformed)

I then asked both if they ever lied or stole anything and after a little wait, they admitted to this. I asked if they ever murdered anyone and that I had. Their expressions changed a bit and I explained how Jesus said that if you ever had anger toward your brother, then you had committed murder in your heart. Again they said they had. I explained that God sees them as filthy and unclean. Then I asked how they would get clean enough on the inside to pray to a Holy God, the first one said by reading the Qur'an. We started over from before that they were, by their own admission not clean enough to pick up the Qur'an ….. I showed them the trap they were in.


Muslim #2 said that God could have more than one Son as He could do anything. I agreed He could do anything and He could not lie. I reminded them of John 3:16. "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”
So how could God have more than one Son when he specifically said Jesus was his ONLY Son?

There were a few digressions here and there. I brought the conversation back to Jesus and asked them if they knew why Jesus, God in human form, came to earth. They did not know so I explained how before Jesus was on earth, the people trying to become clean would hold onto the horns of a bull or ram to transfer their sins onto the animal, then it was sacrificed instead of the sinner. I was then able to present the Gospel to them and how it was Jesus, as He was the only sinless person on earth was able to take on the sins of the whole world, including them and die on their behalf. He had to do it because none of us are sinless so we could not. Jesus then paid the debt on our behalf. That even thought this gift is available, it mean nothing unless they decide to humble themselves, confess their sins to God through His Son, Jesus Christ and put their faith and trust in Jesus Christ’s redemptive power.

To explain a little bit more, I used the courtroom analogy about being sentenced and a fine they could not pay. Then someone comes into the courtroom and pays that fine on their behalf. Then the judge could legally set them free as the fine have been legally settled and paid in full. That is what Jesus did.
Please pray for these two men as they heard the Gospel for the first time.

No comments: