Monday, February 22, 2010

The Pit Maneuver

Friday night we got to the site early and set up the booth, pretty quickly. All of the vendors at this festival were doing the same. I noticed the Police were positioning their officers around the affair, as well.

People began to arrive to wander around. We all handed out tracts and quickly got into some conversations. As things slowed down, I noticed an officer standing at the entrance to the park.

"Come on Josh, let's go talk to him!" I said. I like talking to Police Officers. I feel that they are doing a wonderful job and I always want them to know they are appreciated.

I greeted the officer, checking out the chevrons on his sleeve. I told him I wasn't sure of his rank.

"You can call me Mike." he said.

"Hi Mike." I introduced myself and Joshua. We told him that we appreciated their presence. We had a bit of trouble a few weeks ago with someone and it was comforting to know they were here.

"Did you get one of these, Mike?"

"What is it?" he asked.

"It's a gospel tract."

"Oh, OK."

"I'm trying to do a pit maneuver on you, Mike," I told him. Our good friend Tony Miano, first gave me the idea to use that phrase. Please try this at home!

"A what??" he laughed.

"You know, a pit maneuver. I'm trying to get you to stop moving forward long enough to read this," I said with a smile.

Mike told me he was a Christian and we talked a little bit about that. We had a great conversation about sharing our faith and he wanted to know more. I ran back to the booth to look for a copy of Tony's book Take Up the Shield but found I had given them all away. I brought him a copy of Mark Cahill's book, One Thing You Can't Do In Heaven. It's a great idea to have some of these resources on hand for the occasion when you have a great conversation and you know someone is very interested in knowing more.

A big THANK YOU to all of the officers who watch over us daily!! Romans 13:1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.

No comments: