Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Purgatory Problem

Saturday I was slated to take two new gals with me rehab center. I was trying to work out the logistics in my head on the way there. Driving up over the causeway connecting the island to the mainland, I looked out at the water and was reminded of what a wonderful job God did with creation. 'Ok, God, I know You will take care of the details.'

After we prayed, we went into the short-term hallway. Ruby chose to come in first, while Clara prayed for us. We met Max, who just had knee surgery. We had a great conversation with him and left him thinking.

Just down the hallway we saw an open door and went in to meet Jim. He was strapped upright in a wheelchair. He looked like he'd really had a bad stroke. When asking him a question, one had to wait 3-4 seconds for a nearly imperceptible nod of his head. When we talked of God's impending judgement, he struggled to say something.

"Ppp..." he closed his eyes with effort.

"Purgatory, Jim? Are you saying you will go to Purgatory instead of Hell?" He nodded with hope in his eyes. "You see Tom, there's no mention of Purgatory in the scriptures. The Bible says in the Book of Revelation that, 'all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone'. That's Hell, Jim, not Purgatory. You sure don't want to be wrong about this, do you?"

I went on to make sure that Jim knew what God requires of us in order to go to Heaven. If he's still around, I'll stop back in to see him....now that he's had time to think.






No comments: