Sunday, November 27, 2011

Unexpected Event.

We are still unpacking boxes and trying to get organized from The Move.  It's getting there.  One of the things on the List was to get someone to come and hang Christmas lights on the house.  Makes me feel as though I'm helping the economy just a bit.

Garrett called to say he was on the way.  When he arrived I opened the door and saw that he was dragging his leg.  His arm was limp on the same side.

"Hi Garrett, nice to meet you!  Please come in."  I pulled out a chair and asked him if he would like to sit down.

"Yes, thank you.  I get tired." he said.  "I had a stroke a year-and-a half ago.  I don't let it get me down, though."  Well that is easily said, but you could see it had really taken a toll.  Especially for a man who works outside all year round.

"You are pretty young for a stroke.  What would have happened if you had died?" I asked.  "I mean, what happens to people who die?  Where do they go?"

"Well, I ....heaven."

"Everyone?  All of us?"

"Well...ok, what about Jerry Sandusky?"

"What do you think?"  I asked.

"The jury's still out..." he stated.

"What if Jerry Sandusky ends up in court and his dear uncle is the judge and lets him go? Would that be fair?"  I asked.  "Wouldn't we want to have a judge who would make sure justice was satisfied?"

"Yes."  Garrett was intent and listening.  I took him to the Good Person test and when he failed he got tears in his eyes.  "I keep asking God what He wants me to do.  I know I'm still here for a reason and I just want to make sure I get it."

"Well, I don't think this is a coincidence.  I mean I think God directly arranged this conversation, don't you?  Garrett, this is the thing that God wants you 'to get'.  You won't go any further until you do."  I gave him a copy of Mark Cahill's booklet The Second Greatest Lie Ever Told.   "I hope that you will give this some deep thought-it's the most important thing in your life!"

Please pray for him, his greatest decision lies ahead.

James 4:14  "You do not know what will happen tomorrow.  For what is your life?  It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away."

No comments: