Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Furry People









A friend and I decided to get away, relax and go see a noted Christian speaker. We went to Jacksonville but as soon as we pulled up to the front door of the hotel where we were staying we knew it was not going to be an ordinary weekend!

Outside the front doors of the Westin was a group of 3 men. One of them had a long tail coming out the back of his jeans. When we went inside to register we were surrounded by “them”. What an odd assortment of guests!! Hundreds of people were there to receive encouragement from one of the leading female Christian speakers and others had ears and a tail. Some were even dressed from head to toe in an animal costume. Although it was clear visually that things were amiss, it was much more than that. The Holy Spirit warned us right from the start that we were in a battle zone!!


We checked in and noticed several women standing around in leather and chains. What did chains have to do with animal costumes? My friend laughingly told me she watched a TV show called CSI once and it had this sort of thing in the episode. We put our luggage into our room and got ready for the first night’s session. Our antennae were up! On the way down to the lobby we crossed paths with what looked like someone in a dog costume. We stopped him in the hall and asked what the costume was about. He immediately clasped his hands and bowed his head (?) and spoke very softly, he answered something about “…costume” and turned away. I quickly put a Million Dollar Bill into his paw and told him to be sure to read the back. We got into the elevator with another one of “them”. It was a girl and Patricia asked her what the gathering was about. She said, “…uhh, animals and animal drawings.” This was getting stranger and stranger. It actually became something of a game over the weekend to see how many different answers we got from them. None of them said the same thing!

We went down and caught a cab. Eddie was our driver and since we only had a couple of miles to go I asked him where he would be spending eternity when he died. He said, “Heaven.” As I asked him some questions we arrived at the convention center. I gave him a Good Person booklet and asked him to consider what he would read. He promised he would.

That night’s session was great and when we got out on the street, there was Eddie picking up another group. He waved us over and crammed us into his cab. He was all smiles. He told us that he read the booklet and that he was on his way to Heaven!

As we arrived at the hotel a strange group awaited us. A girl in leather and 4 young men were standing out front. We had to find out what this was about. We approached the group and started handing out Million Dollar Bills. The girl disappeared and I was left with 3 young men who didn’t talk and another one who appeared to be a little older, who did the talking for them. Since he was the only one who spoke I directed conversation to him. He had a name tag on that said Stryker Coyote. I asked his real name. He laughed and said, “Firefox Dragon”. I noticed the boy on his left had some sort of hand puppet on one hand and kept petting it with the other (did he think this thing was real??). My friend Patricia told me later that the boys were reading their tracts and listening carefully. I asked Stryker if he was a good man. He smiled and replied, “A good animal.” As I took him thru the test I asked him if he had ever lusted after another person. He gestured toward the boy on his left and said, “He’s my pet!” As Stryker became aware of his eternal destination he became visibly nervous, lighting a cigarette. He seemed shocked that he would end up in Hell. When I asked what he thought of his destiny he told me that he really thought he would end up “someplace better than Hell”. You could tell from his voice that the thought of Hell for eternity shocked him. I told him that Jesus was willing to pay his fine and forgive him if he would humble himself before God. He shut down and I told them that they had enough information now to make an informed decision and it was up to them.



As we went to the elevator we could see that they had an entire ballroom reserved! I looked at Patricia and she was probably thinking, Oh, no!, but she was right there with me and we walked in and started giving away Millions! We were pretty well received until Patricia heard one of the bondage girls say, “Oh, we’re all going to Hell!” I wish I would have heard that because I would have said, “But you don’t all have to!!!” We gave out everything we had. No one wanted to talk to us and to tell you the truth handing the Million Dollar Bills over to adults in animal costumes was bizarre-to say the least!

The next morning Patricia and I grabbed another cab for the short ride over. Our driver, Frank was a nice man and I got right to the point. He was a black man and brought up the fact that people hate each other over their skin color. I told him of the story in Matthew 18 about the master forgiving the slave his debt and then the slave’s unwillingness to forgive another and that the end result was his master calling in the original debt and imprisoning him. All of the sudden Frank pulled the front of the car to the curb and stopped. I thought he was going to kick us out! He bowed His head and asked Jesus to forgive him for his own lack of forgiveness!

We had another great session and afterwards had a hard time getting a cab. We were first in line for the next car. A sedan pulled up to the curb and 3 ladies pushed past us and jumped in. I thought to myself, “Man I would not get into an unmarked car like that!” All of the sudden, my friend Patricia grabbed the back door and jumped in with them saying, “Do you mind sharing your cab?” She is bold! Patricia was forever leaving me the front seats!! I got in and saw from his license that he was legitimate. I asked his name and it was Marco. He was from Jamaica and said he went to church in the area. I talked to him about eternity and took him thru 2 or 3 Commandments. He got very quiet and admitted that he was on his way to Hell. When given the Good News, he said that he wanted to follow Jesus Christ as His Lord and Savior! I asked if he could drive and pray at the same time and he smiled and said, “Yes!” Marco gave his life to Jesus and all the angels rejoiced! (As did we, because he didn’t close his eyes!)





Patricia and I laughed all the way home at our great and creepy weekend!! . We found out later that we were dead-smack in the middle of a “Furcon” or “Furry Convention”! Grrr… Do yourself a favor-don’t Google it.


No comments: