Sunday, June 1, 2008

Joseph Smith Loses Another One…

Greeting my friends in the nursing home Saturday I noticed a new patient that was alone. Taking quick note of her name outside the door, I walked into the room. She smiled and I introduced myself as a volunteer and asked if her name was Shirley. As she smiled and nodded, I noticed she had a recent stoma.

I asked the usual questions and she slowly mouthed enough to let me know that she lived nearby and had family around the area. It was difficult to hear her because of the ventilator. I asked her if she had any church background. She formed a word dreaded to me… “Mormon”. I quickly asked the Holy Spirit to speak to her and give me the words that she needed to hear.

As I took her thru the Law, Shirley was very honest. She pronounced herself guilty under the Law and her eyes locked onto mine as she admitted she was destined for Hell. She tried to tell me something and I leaned closer to hear her whisper “…accepted Jesus Christ…” When asked if I heard her correctly, she said, “Yes”. I read to her from the book of Revelation 22:18-19 “… If anyone adds to these things, God will add on him the plagues that have been written in this Book. And if anyone takes away from the Words of the Book of this prophecy, God will take away his part out of the Book of Life”. I asked Shirley if she understood what this meant. She very soberly mouthed, “Yes.” I reminded her that John 14:6 states… Jesus said to him, I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life; no one comes to the Father but by Me. As I quoted this verse she said it with me, and I saw a tear roll down her cheek. When she heard that demons knew of Jesus (James 2:19) but would not be spending Eternity in Heaven, she looked concerned. We talked about the thieves that died with Jesus and what their reactions and destinies were. The one who spent Eternity with Jesus never had time to add anything to his life.

We talked about the fact that many people admit their guilt and are sometimes even sorry for their wrongdoings when they realize that they are guilty under the Law. But the death sentence is still hanging over our heads-until we pay it with our soul OR...someone steps in and takes our place. Surprise and then recognition came over Shirley’s face. I asked her again if she had ever accepted Jesus Christ’s payment for her. She shook her head, and mouthed the word, “No”. I asked her if she would like to and she quickly said, “Yes”. Shirley paused a long time and then prayed. No pictures are allowed in the Nursing Homes- but just try to picture a very big smile.

No comments: