Friday, July 2, 2010

Is This Your Best Life Now?

We had just started watching the video for an evangelism class last night, when the door of the church opened. I noticed a woman walk in and stare. She had a slight smile on her face.

Dayna quickly got up and went to meet her. They stepped outside and talked as we continued to watch the footage. Near the end of the video Dayna walked back in to let me know that the woman was crying because she just lost her son-in-law. Dayna took over the class while I went outside.

The woman introduced herself as Alexa. She spoke of her son-in-law, and how her daughter and 5-year-old grandson were grieving. She told me that she attended the mega-church on the mainland.

"I have just gotten off of Welfare and Food Stamps. I just got a job at a retirement home cleaning toilets. My life that I knew is gone, but I know that God will take care of me! He is showing me that I can't hold on to anything but Him. I know that even if He holds me by a single thread from going over the edge-He will do it!"

"How did you find us here? What made you come in?" I asked her.

"Well, I was at home and I didn't want to sit there and cry so I was on my way over to the beach to cry!" she laughed at this. "Something told me to turn in here so I did!"

I urged her to contact our pastor to talk, since she lived here on the island. She said she might do that. I prayed with her and we talked a bit more about life in general, specifically how it doesn't meet our expectations sometimes.

"Will you wait here a moment? I want to give you a book." I went inside to grab a couple of Ray Comfort's newest book 'God Has A Wonderful Plan For Your Life'.

"Obviously, this book has a sarcastic title, right?" I commented.

"Right...this life is hard." she said.




Job_5:6-7 For affliction does not come from the dust, nor does trouble sprout from the ground, but man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward.

Job_14:1 "Man who is born of a woman is few of days and full of trouble.


Psalms 90:10 The years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is but toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away.



Psalms 62:7 On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God.

No comments: