Monday, December 7, 2009

Fading away

I met a man today who is fading away. Scripture says, 'The grass withers, the flower fades when the breath of the LORD blows on it; surely the people are grass. The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.' (Isaiah 40:7-8)

He is so wasted that when I put my hand on his thin shoulder, I could feel the scapula and clavicle in detail where they join the humerus bone of the arm. He felt so fragile that I was afraid to even put the weight of my hand on him. I did not feel flesh but only bone. He had open sores on his skin and his breath was a reminder that death was very near.

He spoke openly of dying and told me that he didn't believe in Heaven or Hell. He just thinks that he will die and know nothing after that. He listened as we talked of eternity but did not answer about his destiny. I explained that we will live on eternally and that he was rightly destined for Hell. When I was done talking with him I asked him if we could pray for him. He shrugged that shoulder ever so slightly- as if he didn't have a care in the world.

I prayed that God would convict Ken of his sin and draw him. I prayed that he would seek the Truth, no matter what it is. He did not react.

When we parted I told Ken that I enjoyed our conversation. I asked him to consider it carefully because it was the most important decision he would ever make.

This man's soul will outlive his body...

Every man must do two things alone; he must do his own believing and his own dying.

Martin Luther (1483-1546)



Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

No comments: