Friday, December 11, 2009

A great problem...

In preparation for an upcoming, long flight I ordered an item to be delivered tomorrow morning. I found out an hour ago it won't be arriving. Arghhhh.


I called customer service since this is something they were responsible for. After speaking with Mahyreen I realized nothing could be done about it.

"Is there anything else I can do for you?" she asked me.

"Yes, you can answer this question for me. What happens after we die?"

Silence.

"Please, give me a moment to think about this."

"Certainly."

After a long silence..."I think we go to Heaven and see each other."

"Everyone goes?"

Hesitation and then, "well,...I think you have to be good. I try to be good and I always try to help everyone I can..."

"So you are a good person?"

"Yes."

"Have you ever heard of the 10 Commandments?" I said this thinking she was probably in India. "Thou shalt not lie, thou shall not kill..."

"10 commitments...no I haven't."

"Have you ever read the Bible? They are in the Bible."

"No, I haven't."

"God gave these Laws to us. They work through our conscience because no matter where we live in this world, we all have a conscience."

"That's exactly right! We all do!"

"Here's the first one, 'Thou shalt not lie'-
how many lies have you told?"

"Oh, I think that is innumerable."

"Me too, and I will tell you that I failed this test when I took it."

"Have you ever stolen anything? Think of it like this, ever taken anything at all that wasn't yours? One minute on the time clock, paperclip from work?"

"Oh, I have done this thing many times."

"When we do these things, we are liars and thieves."

"Oh..."

"Have you had sex outside of marriage? Because it is also says, 'Don't commit adultery.' "

"I have not done that. I am not married."

"It also applies to sex without being married."

"I have not done that."

"Jesus took this to a higher level when He said, 'Whoever looks at another person with a sexual or immoral thought has already committed adultery."

"Oh...I have done that many times."

"The Bible says that 'It is appointed for man to die once, after this the Judgment!' The moment after you die you will stand accountable for your life. God will judge you with His standard of righteousness. If something happened to you today and He judges you, will you be innocent or guilty of breaking His law?"

I heard her take a deep breath but she didn't answer right away. After a moment she said, "I'm speechless!"

"Does it concern you that if God judged you today, He would be bound by His Holiness to condemn your soul to Hell??"

"But not if I apologize to Him for what I've done!"

We talked about going to court after running over a child, and being found guilty of manslaughter. "If you apologize really well, can you go home?"

"No, you can't!"

"If the judge gives you a fine of $2M USD, can you pay it?"

"No, I don't have that."

"What if someone comes in and tells the judge they have the payment he's looking for, can you go free?"

"Yes!"

"Well, Jesus did that for you. Jesus was God in the flesh. He took on the form of a man for us. This God Who created the Heavens and the Earth can do anything He wants, can't He?"

"Oh, yes He can!"

"He did! He died after living a perfectly sinless life, He was buried and three days later He rose from the grave to defeat our worst enemies, Death and Hell!! We don't have to fear those anymore! God requires two things of us in order to pay this fine. He requires that we repent or turn away from our sin and trust in Jesus and no other. In the book of John Jesus said, 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life, no man comes to the Father but by Me.' Do you own a Bible?"

"No. But I will purchase one today."

"Oh, please read the Gospel of John and think about what we talked about-OK?"

"I will, God bless you and Merry Christmas!"


Romans 3:19 Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God

Job 15:6 Your own mouth condemns you, and not I; your own lips testify against you.


Another seed planted.

No comments: