Saturday, April 10, 2010

Obviously!

Allyson and I decided to stop at a local diner this morning for a break. As we sat and talked I noticed a man at a nearby table. He looked like a biker. His head was shaved and he had a long beard. With him sat a huge man in a leather sleeveless vest from a local biker gang. I was a bit embarrassed because when I looked at him he looked at me. I would have sworn I knew him from somewhere.



We continued to talk and I continued to try and figure out where I knew him from. I thought perhaps I had talked to him on the street and I was trying to remember the encounter but it just would not come to me. We finished up and walked out to the parking lot. I was telling Allyson about a period of time a few weeks ago when I had been reviewing over and over with God about how horrible people were getting and how it was getting to me. One night I was telling God over and over about how awful it was and I finally decided to just get out of bed and pray about it. As I went into the other room I thought 'Psalm 14.' I had thought to myself, 'Oh, stop.' Allyson and I were laughing about that. I told her when I got down to pray I thought 'Psalm 14' again. I told her I thought 'OK, maybe I'd better read it before I pray, just in case.' Allyson laughed out loud at this and said, "Yeah, just on the off chance He might be trying to tell you something!" It sounded pretty ridiculous now that she said it that way. Well...this is what I read:

Psalms 14-The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that does good.The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy there is none that does good, no, not one. Have all the workers of iniquity no knowledge? who eat up my people as they eat bread,and call not upon the LORD.There were they in great fear: for God is in the generation of the righteous.Ye have shamed the counsel of the poor, because the LORD is his refuge. Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the LORD bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad.

I felt so foolish after reading that! Here I was griping to GOD about how rotten humanity is becoming and here He was telling me He already knew it ALL. I mean I don't even have to see ALL of it!!! How obvious was that?

When we finished I walked to my truck and then my mind split in half! Part of it was trying to figure out what exit to leave from and part of it was trying to figure out that guy.

I quickly decided I needed to go out the north exit since I could avoid traffic and get over the causeway faster. As soon as I turned the vehicle in the direction of that exit I knew I was going to see that man again. When I drove past the front of the diner he walked out from behind a concrete wall and put his hand up as if he were calling a cab. He seemed a bit embarrassed when he raised his arm, almost like, 'Why did I do that?" I pulled up to him and rolled down the window. It was very smooth and natural and not weird at all. I told him that I thought I knew him but could not remember where from.

He said, "No, I don't know you."

"Really? Because I really think I know you from somewhere." Now I tried to be conscious that this could go wrong but it wasn't that way.

"Where do you work?" he said.

"No, it's not there. I am a street evangelist. My name is Jennifer."

"I'm Jeff."

Since I was in the middle of the driveway I knew the conversation wouldn't be a long one so I wanted to be sure to give him a gospel tract. I handed him a Good Person booklet and a Million Dollar Bill.

"I have one of these."

"Did I give it to you?" I said.

"No, I would have remembered you." he said.

"OK, well Jeff do you know where you'll go when you die?" I asked.

"I'm going to Heaven, I've accepted Jesus into my heart." Jeff said.

"Jeff, I mean no disrespect but I want to ask you something...do you really think that the Creator of the Universe really needs your acceptance?"

"Well, I think whatever works for you, works for you and it might be different for someone else."

"Jeff, Jesus said, 'I am the Way, the Truth and the Life-no man comes to the Father but by Me.' There is no other way."

Of course at this point there was another car behind me that needed to get through so I had to move. Jeff started to back away knowing I was going to be moving.

"Jeff , will you promise to read that?" I asked him in reference to the Good Person tract.

"I promise, I will."

We shook hands and I told him I'd see him around.

This encounter was meant to be-right in front of me-obviously!

No comments: