Sunday, August 23, 2009

Asleep at the wheel.

As I handed the Million Dollar Bill to the man I told him my name. He said his name was Carl. We talked for a bit and then I asked him if he knew where he would spend eternity when he died. He hesitated a moment and told me he hoped to go to Heaven.

I began to take him through the Law and he answered each question honestly. Realizing that he was destined for Hell he became concerned. He related that he used to be a long-distance truck driver until he'd had an accident. After a long day of driving he had called in to let the dispatcher know he would be taking a break to sleep. The dispatcher complained and told him that the load he was hauling had a strict deadline. Against his better judgment Carl continued to drive. Soon he fell asleep behind the wheel of his truck. He crashed into a mobile home where five people were asleep. Besides being horribly scared, one of them, an elderly lady, received a very bad injury to her leg.

I am not sure why Carl brought that up at that moment but it seemed to be lingering on his mind as something unresolved. I asked Carl to think with me for a moment about an earthly courtroom. I posed this question: If he were to be taken there because he was guilty of manslaughter would it be a possibility that he could go home if he gave a nice enough apology? Carl adamantly told me no.

"Well, if the judge passed sentence and gave you a million dollar fine or life in prison can you pay the fine?"

"No way."

"Looks like you'll be spending the rest of your life in prison..oh, wait! Someone you don't even know is coming into the courtroom with a million dollar check! The judge tells him to bring it forward. The judge examines it and says the court will accept it on your behalf...and then he looks at you , Carl. He wants a decision. Are you willing to allow this payment on your behalf?"

"Yes, I will."

"Did you leave that courtroom because of a great apology or because justice was satisfied?"

"Justice was satisfied."

"Carl, 2,000 years ago Jesus came to pay for you. This payment was something you couldn't make-God knew that and He made provision long ago for you."

Carl listened and even took a CD of Hells Best Kept Secret.

Our conscience never sleeps.

No comments: