Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Survey your life...

The young man handed Dennis the clipboard as he asked, "Would you be willing to take this survey?"

We were attending the National Kidney Foundation Labor Day Surf Contest in Cocoa Beach and trying to make contact with as many people as possible. Dennis took the clipboard and as he did I said to the guy, "While he's filling that out would you be willing to take my survey?"

He smiled and said, "Sure."

"Now, my questions aren't easy-they're going to make you think."

He told me his name was Lido. I asked him where he would go when he died. He seemed a bit surprised at the question. I believe in getting to the point. (Whenever I speak to someone in a nursing home environment I never know just how long I will have before someone interrupts us-I guess that's what formed my lightning-like approach.) Lido told me he was going to Heaven. When I asked him how he told me, "I believe." Years ago that was enough to get me off the hook, but now...I have to make sure we're talking about the same thing.

I took Lido through a few of the 10 Commandments and asked him how he would fare if God were to judge him today.

"Guilty."

"You are going to Hell, Lido." I let that sink in a minute. "Does that concern you?"

"Yes, very much." He began to look very worried. When I told him about Jesus dying for him, Lido looked relieved. Then he began to tell me how much he tried to do 'the right thing every day'. I reminded him that we can't get there with 'good works' and then suddenly he stopped telling me how good he was. You could see his shoulders slump. We talked about simply believing and repenting. Complete surrender.

I gave Lido a CD of Hells Best Kept Secret and True and False Conversions. These are free for duplication and I try to make sure I always carry some with me. I also gave him a Good Person booklet. These are clear and concise. Good gospel tracts are called 'silent preachers' because people will read them long after we are gone.
2 Corinthians 13:5 examine yourselves, whether you are in the faith, prove your own selves...

No comments: